Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2

    Default Whistler Pro-68SE dies after 1 yr--replacing fuse & power cord help only temporarily

    Hi all! I'm a new member. After 20+ years of living and commuting in the Boston area (not to mention making the 400-mile trip to visit to visit family in Western NY 3x/yr during that time) I've gone through several radar detectors!

    I currently own a Whistler Pro-68SE that I've been having ongoing problems with. I'm coming up on the 2-year warranty deadline, so need to figure out if there is some simple fix I'm missing, or if I'll be sending it back to Whistler for a warranty repair. Any advice from the experts and/or owners who have experienced this problem would be greatly appreciated.

    About a year after getting the 68SE it suddenly died on me. After doing some online research that suggested the problem might be a blown fuse in the power cord, I replaced the fuse with the correct one as per the manual. It worked for a few days then blew again (the detector came on when I plugged in the cord, then no sound or display at all, even if I took the plug out and plugged it in again).

    After this happened several times I bought a new power cord. When I plugged in the new cord, the detector came on and then the device died. I unplugged and plugged in again, same thing happened 2 more times, and then nothing. This leads me to believe that the problem is with the detector itself?

  2. #2
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Whistler Pro-68SE dies after 1 yr--replacing fuse & power cord help only temporar

    Try it in a different car. With a new fuse of course. Send Mike B a PM.

  3. #3
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    770

    Default Re: Whistler Pro-68SE dies after 1 yr--replacing fuse & power cord help only temporar

    sounds like the internal power regulator is shot.

  4. #4
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    1,963

    Default Re: Whistler Pro-68SE dies after 1 yr--replacing fuse & power cord help only temporar

    Welcome! X2, try another car with different combos. Make sure the new cord -/+ is correct.....

  5. #5
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Whistler Pro-68SE dies after 1 yr--replacing fuse & power cord help only temporar

    Thank you so much for the suggestions! I ran across one other tip about making sure the interior of the power outlet was clean. It seems like common sense, but I'd never thought of it because it's an aux power supply with a flip-top cover so it's not like it's sitting open like some cig lighters can. I used a damp paper towel and ran it around inside the outlet, then followed with a dry one. After doing that, the 68SE with the new power cord is now working, for two days in a row.

    Fingers crossed that will do it -- if not I will try your great suggestions and I will let you know! Thanks again.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2012, 08:18 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 05:22 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 01:52 AM
  4. Blown fuse in X50 power cord:(
    By intregrah in forum Escort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 05:56 AM
  5. Whistler - Polarity of the power cord?
    By sasha in forum Whistler
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2006, 05:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •