Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

I got my camcorder charged up, what exactly am I looking for? I'm guessing I looking to see how visible the plate is compared to the state plate? the more visible the plate is in night mode the greater the intensity in the IR spectrum?

Lead Foot

Yes, film it in the dark or in a garage so that the only light is from the infraread beam from the camcorder.

Good Citizen

Ok night shot, sorry its blurry but tell me what you all think, I took the picture of the night shot screen at different angles, that bright thing in the middle is the nightshot display icon and the green thng is the STDBY icon on the Sony Camcorder

There is no way u can have total darkness in the garage, I used a cell phone display screen light, it was the smallest illumination device i could find, comments?

Left Plate-Top half-Diffusing Tape ONLY
    Bottom Half-State Plate

Middle Plate-State plate

Right Plate-Laser Shield ONLY

Old Timer

Seems like it works.

Old Timer

+1 - I'm definitely no expert at this, but it does seem like the tape is working.....

Cool!

I guess the final step would be some quantitative testing against police LIDAR setup. Anyone in your area?

Good Citizen

i got the money to buy the range finder, it will set back my money saved for the laser jammer but the LI doesn't look like its coming out anytime soon, u all think its a good investment, laser is the future and its best to start testing now

I wouldn't mind some technical information on the range finder

BTW-notice on the photos, the plates are upside down, since my camera lens was on the same side, I turned it upside down, u'll get the point i hope

Old Timer

Unfortunately, no ideas about the rangefinder, bruddah. ops: Hopefully, the others here will come in to guide you on this one.

After looking at your pix a little more, I do seem to see that the tape, which itself conforms better to the plate's raised lettering, does seem to also let this lettering "peek through" a little more - as compared to the LaserShield, whose "second layer" surface essentially blends everything into one another.

Now, my question would be two-fold:

(1) whether if the slightly "raised" lettering of the tape-covered plate would give it a slight disadvantage

and

(2) if #1 is a concern, then whether if "dressing" the raised letters (i.e. roughing them up a little, putting a coat of VEIL over them, etc.) would help the issue?

:?:

And just as an aside....since this is the VEIL sub-Forum, it would be interesting to also see a side-by-side of a VEIL-dressed plate, compared to the rest of the setup, too!

Thanks again, though, for taking the time-out to do these pix/shots!

Old Timer

I wonder how this stuff would go on headlights, and if it would help at all.

Good Citizen

yes I noticed that also, the letters are more visible on the taped plate since the tape molds around each letter, I think it would be at a disadvantage but remember the laser shield is noticable the tape is not, I guess I could apply veil on the letters and it should take care of that issue, i would take the tape over the laser shield since its not noticable and less risk of getting stopped by a LEO

No one in there right mind would put veil on the plates, its way way too noticable but as for a comparison I would consider doing it just for the visible and night shot test

since I wasted so much veil applying it to the headlights, I would have none left if I need another coat in a year or so, so I am reluctant to use my last 2 ounces of veil on the plate but what the hell I will do a test on the plate with veil

Good Citizen

ok, I have taken pictures of a veiled plate but my computer does not recognize my camera anymore, I can't figure out what happened, I think the motherboard is about to take a $hit

But my conclusions are that during reflection photos Veil reflects like a regular plate but in night mode the Veiled plate is completely dark, it is obvious now what Veil does to IR light, the diffusing tape darkens slightly but nothing compared to Veil, the laser shield had the same visibility as the diffusing tape. So the experiment showed that veil blocks IR light during night shot and laser shield has no effect during night shot and diffusing tape has no effect during night shot.

I am honest about my results and would tell u everything that I observed. Atleast my headlights are veiled but I will not veil the license plate even with the lightest coat, it is simply too dark. Parts of my hypothesis failed but I proved that laser shield is ineffective, I would consider buying a clear Veil coating if they ever produce one.