Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default ILLINOIS TOLLWAY CONSTRUCTION PHOTO RADAR!

IDOT, Tollway and State Police Warn Drivers to Prepare for
    Highway Construction Season
    New tools this year include increased fines, loss of license and photo enforcement

CHICAGO—The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) joined with the State Police and Illinois Tollway to remind motorists construction season is about to kick in to gear and warn that tough new laws are on the books that target drivers who flout work zone speed limits and endanger the lives of construction workers and other drivers.

“Next week is Work Zone Safety Week and the traditional beginning to highway construction season. We want to send a message to motorists now to slow down in work zones,” IDOT Secretary Timothy W. Martin said. “If you are caught speeding in a work zone, at minimum you will be looking at a fine of $375, at worst, you can kill yourself, a loved one or a worker.”

Under enhanced penalties passed by the Legislature and signed into law by Gov. Rod Blagojevich last year, first-time work zone speeders, including those caught on camera, will be hit with a fine of $375, with $125 of that sum going to pay off-duty State Troopers to provide added enforcement in construction or maintenance zones. Two-time offenders are subject to a $1,000 fine, including a $250 surcharge to hire Troopers, and the loss of their license for 90 days.

Starting in July, State Troopers will deploy specially equipped vans that can take photographs of drivers speeding in IDOT and Tollway construction and maintenance zones. Tickets will be issued by mail to vehicle owners.
    In addition, drivers who hit a worker are subject for up to a $10,000 fine and 14 years in prison.

"Preventing the accidents and injuries caused by crashes occurring in work zones is a significant responsibility for the Illinois State Police," said ISP Director Larry Trent. “We must protect these workers who ultimately make all of us safer by improving our roadways. Troopers assigned to work zone details will take a zero tolerance approach when issuing citations to speed limit violators. The message is clear -- Slow down; we're serious about workzone safety."

Gov. Blagojevich has set of goal of reducing traffic deaths to fewer than 1,000 a year by 2008. The work zone speeding crackdown is just one of the ways state transportation and law enforcement are working together to accomplish that goal.

According to provisional data from 2004, 39 people were killed in work zones last year, with two of them being workers. In 2003, 44 people were killed in work zones, with 5 being workers.

“Since the Tollway just launched our $5.3 billion Congestion Relief Plan, drivers will see more work zones on the Tollway than they have in the past. We’re doing our part to ensure construction areas are well marked and that drivers are well informed as they travel through our construction areas,” said Illinois Tollway Executive Director Jack Hartman. “But impatience, speeding and driver inattention are the leading factors in work zone crashes, so we need drivers to slow down and stay alert in work zones for their safety as well as our workers.”

Under the provisions of the Automated Traffic Control Systems in Highway Construction or Maintenance Zones Act of 2004, Illinois State Police were given the authority to use cameras to enforce work zone speed limits in cases where workers are present. It also requires that signs be posted when work zone speed limits are being enforced by camera.

Photo enforcement vans will be equipped with cameras designed to record a clear image of the vehicle and driver, it’s speed, and registration plate. The registered owner will not be liable if someone else is driving the vehicle.

Photo speed enforcement will be taking place at various construction zones around the state, including on the Dan Ryan and Kingery projects and Tollway projects in the Chicago area as well as various downstate projects.

IDOT and Tollway officials stressed the importance of complying with work zone speed limits even when workers are not present because of the dangers posed by features such as narrow lanes, lane jogs, reduced shoulder width, obstructions and drop-offs.

IDOT and Tollway staffers will be conducting an outreach effort directed at members of the driving public on Friday, April 1, at highway rest stops and Tollway oases around the state.

The increased work zone speeding penalties and photo speed enforcement are just two of the recommendations of the Work Zone Safety Task Force assembled by Governor Blagojevich in 2003. Other recommendations of the Task Force, comprised of members from IDOT, Illinois State Police, the Tollway, Federal Highway Administration, labor and industry representatives.

((I thought photo radar is "easy" to beat in court...esp. with Michigan drivers who drive through that state as we do not have front plates!))

http://www.dot.state.il.us/press/r033005.html

Lead Foot

Isn't photo radar pointless because it can be defeated when taken to court? I thought most states, including Illinois, have made Photo Radar Machines illegal. Maybe I could be wrong.

Professional

what band will photo radar utilize?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by leepoffaith
    Isn't photo radar pointless because it can be defeated when taken to court? I thought most states, including Illinois, have made Photo Radar Machines illegal. Maybe I could be wrong.
    I don't believe that they are illegal, per-se, but I'm willing to bet that they don't have judicial notice in most parts of the US. Current case law requires a visual tracking history made by a competent human, which is impossible with unattended machines. Even if a unit has a reputation for reliability you would never be able to tell from a still image if the number is real or errant.

Lead Foot

Plus, you are ticketing the vehicle NOT the driver of the vehicle. Most people don't fight their tickets so I'm sure they could get away with it, but those that do fight photo radar will win.

Good Citizen

Plus, you are ticketing the vehicle NOT the driver of the vehicle. Most people don't fight their tickets so I'm sure they could get away with it, but those that do fight photo radar will win.
    They say it will take a picture of the driver. When this comes around here in chicago you bet your a$s im going to be wearing a mask.

Lead Foot

Or, instead of looking like you are celebrating Halloween early, just get a photoradar plate cover. I highly doubt Illinois State Troopers will pull you over for it.

Good Citizen

Or, instead of looking like you are celebrating Halloween early, just get a photoradar plate cover. I highly doubt Illinois State Troopers will pull you over for it.
    I would but I am unsure of the laws in my state. I do not want to get a fine for something I might use a few times. Does anyone know any plate laws in illinios and chicago.
    I like my mask idea though
    I would be in a full gorrilla suit and take it to court...Judge that is not me therefor I should not be responsible for this gorilla driving my car.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by futbolfirefan
    I would but I am unsure of the laws in my state. I do not want to get a fine for something I might use a few times. Does anyone know any plate laws in illinios and chicago.
    I like my mask idea though
    I would be in a full gorrilla suit and take it to court...Judge that is not me therefor I should not be responsible for this gorilla driving my car.
    I used to live in Illinois, and it seemed to me that State Troopers were VERY nice. I got pulled over for 92 in a 55 because the cop was in an undercover black camero. He told me flat out to stay under 80 next time and I won't get a ticket. He also knocked it down to 85 so i didn't any other tickets. I really wouldn't worry about plate covers.

Good Citizen

If you can show me something that states that photocovers arent illegal I will def buy some. If that is the case I will no longer pay tolls.