Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Don't get me started on the Firebird.

They let the car wither on the vine for so long, give it an excellent engine and a bargain price tag, give the Joe Camel treatment to the front end and slap in a Sunfire interior...

The first GTO? As in 1964 or 2004?

Speed Demon

The first re-release. As in before they bumped up the horsepower. BTW, have you ever seen the inside of a GTO trunk? They had to re-orient the fuel tank for US regs and it takes up about 45% of the trunk.
    Richard

Yoda of Radar

Yeah, in Aus they still use the ubercool GM style gas tank with the hidden filler behind the license plate.

But no, we can't have that in modern America... so they had to put it in the trunk.

Hey you really can't complain, 400hp, 28mpg, you can buy one for $18 000 USD new! and the interior is awesome in it's feel and quality, which was probably the Firebird's biggest fault in the 4th generation.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Yeah, in Aus they still use the ubercool GM style gas tank with the hidden filler behind the license plate.

But no, we can't have that in modern America... so they had to put it in the trunk.

Hey you really can't complain, 400hp, 28mpg, you can buy one for $18 000 USD new! and the interior is awesome in it's feel and quality, which was probably the Firebird's biggest fault in the 4th generation.
    WHOA, they really have the cap under the license plate???!!! ME WANT ME WANT! But where the heck are you getting your 18k US figure? Try 38K.
    Richard

Yoda of Radar

Go out to your local GM dealer.

Incentives + GM Card + Student discount + etc you are rolling out the door for under $20K. I think the 18k was for an 04, but go out and see, it's crazy the US auto market right now!

Yeah, the cap on the Monaro is behind the rear plate, just like on my Firebird, and actually, pretty much every GM product from ~1955 to ~1985. (there is a handle where there is a plate screw, you pull this down and the plate is on a hinge, then remove the cap and stick in the fuel filler. On the Firebird the key for the trunk is also behind the plate - very clean) Someday I'll go to a full service gas station in the 'bird and see if they can find it... "oh it's not on this side" "wait... it's not here..."

Speed Demon

Really? If I tell my brother that he'll buy one tomorrow morning I think. I'm not sure if I you're right though since the Mustang has been selling with a 5k markup. But you can't try that full service thing at the station near my house. It's run by a father and his 5 kids. The cars they own read like a rednecks dream list, classic firebirds, 442s, 454s, old impalas, boss mustangs, its just plain nuts.
    Richard

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by Suddenlee
    Quote HappyAss "Oh boy I opened up a can on that one. EVERYONE knows that USA is the most technologically advanced country in the WORLD"

That wasn't your original statement! And although many might agree in general terms with your latest statement, it would be very shortsighted not to acknowledge technology from other countries.

Another fact of life in these troubled times is that there are many people who don't care how advanced USA technology or products are, they wouldn't touch them in any circumstances!
    Why?? Because xenophobic Americans make statements like "EVERYONE knows that USA is the most technologically advanced country in the WORLD" without even looking at what happens elsewhere in the world.
    In many countries in Europe and Asia, many of the "technological advancements" in the USA are laughable! Like the phone system, your 110V mains power, your NTSC TV etc etc. I could go on and on, but Im laughing too hard.
    Lee
    I will not even argue this point with you because it can not be argued with.
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Suddenlee
    In many countries in Europe and Asia, many of the "technological advancements" in the USA are laughable! Like the phone system, your 110V mains power, your NTSC TV etc etc. I could go on and on, but Im laughing too hard.
    Lee
    Hehe, i'm glad we've got the 110v mains at least. I tend to get shocked a lot.

Speed Demon

I'm glad about the 110V also. I once didn't realize it but two wires were live and I grabbed them both (which I can tell you from experience is a lot worse than putting your finger is a lightbulb socket). I could hardly pull away, but when I did I was still alive.
    Richard

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr

uuuummmmm WRONG, we dont hav the gas tank filler behind the licence plate...i think the 82 model XE falcon had that....but never again have i seen that