Professional

Default Re: Airborne Speed Trap Countermeasures - Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Eloi View Post
    Thanks Switch626 , here they will use vascar for 212 hours
    as a test and see if it is profitable $ecuritarily

My wife had , 15 years ago a vascar ticket ...I was passenger with my
    Solo detector ...they had pulled over like 5 cars at this time ....the guy
    in the sport mercedes was mad like hell ... we were his rabbit

Would it be a good idea : paint the top of a car a different color ....
    a desesperate way to fight vascar ?
    Maybe paint it a similar color to FHP

I like the idea, although I would also think you are looking for a color that is not reflective of lidar. Or maybe a diagonal stripe pattern to create an optical illusion, this making it harder to accurately track.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by switch626 View Post

Or maybe a diagonal stripe pattern to create an optical illusion, this making it harder to accurately track.
    The ole Zebra stripes confusing the Lion theory here. We being the Zebra and the LEO's being the Lion.

I like what your trying to do/experiment with here though.
    Let us all know how it turns out, because if you can make it work could definitely make life easier for all of us who haft to worry about this type of enforcement tactic.

Good luck!

Professional

switch, I have a pilot friend over in your area. If you are interested I could arrange a test against a regular single engine fixed gear aircraft. Pick a stretch of road and fly a simulated enforcement run. PM me if you want to try this idea

this is something I have thought about getting. but wanted concrete evidence that it will work.

I hope you guys get something setup to run a controled test to see if it will work.
    Rod Blagojevich: I'm Lawful, 'Feel Free' To Tape Me

chad dornsife for president in 2012!!!

Radar Fanatic

Silver vehicles are more difficult to pick out from the air as they tend to blend in with the pavement. So use silver for the top of your car.

For Florida, I would think a CB radio would be a great countermeasure for air enforcement.

GTO_04

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by lugnuts View Post
    this is something I have thought about getting. but wanted concrete evidence that it will work.

I hope you guys get something setup to run a controlled test to see if it will work.
    I haven't quite figured out how to do a controlled experiment yet, so I am hoping to hear from anyone who has and idea of how to approach that.

I'm definitely planning to do some road testing when I get it.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04 View Post

Silver vehicles are more difficult to pick out from the air as they tend to blend in with the pavement. So use silver for the top of your car.

For Florida, I would think a CB radio would be a great countermeasure for air enforcement.

GTO_04
    I have also heard that silver is very hard for lidar reflections. That makes a nice double whammy. I am leaning toward my next car being silver.

I think the CB is definitely a tried and true countermeasure for this. I think the collision avoidance method would be a good addition though if it works. These methods seem to both have their weaknesses, but together would fill in the gaps.

Professional

Silver might make you an easier lidar target.

Seriously if you want to try the TCAS in a controlled experiment, I can get an airplane to fly patterns and you approach the simulated enforcement area and see how the TCAS reacts. This would be way easier that trying to chase down an actual airplane trap.

Experiment is as follows...
    Pick a road, specific location on that road and a time. Airplane flys at 2500ft in a racetrack pattern, 1 mile legs. Target car, drives through the simulated enforcement area observe the TCAS. Target car drives beyond the target area by 2 miles and does a U-turn. Repeat the drive through and repeat observations. Do this 3-5 times.

Optionally you could video both the airplane and car cabins, note the exact GPS coordinates of both the car and the aircraft. Ground to air communication would be good, and you would need an aircraft two way radio (I have one BTW).

I'd suggest a road way out west Broward or Palm beach county, such as US27, SR80 or the Sawgrass--- somewhere way out of controlled airspace and on a road that has long straightaways and the ability to make U turns.

Just let me know if you really want to test this out.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
    Silver might make you an easier lidar target.

Seriously if you want to try the TCAS in a controlled experiment, I can get an airplane to fly patterns and you approach the simulated enforcement area and see how the TCAS reacts. This would be way easier that trying to chase down an actual airplane trap.

Experiment is as follows...
    Pick a road, specific location on that road and a time. Airplane flys at 2500ft in a racetrack pattern, 1 mile legs. Target car, drives through the simulated enforcement area observe the TCAS. Target car drives beyond the target area by 2 miles and does a U-turn. Repeat the drive through and repeat observations. Do this 3-5 times.

Optionally you could video both the airplane and car cabins, note the exact GPS coordinates of both the car and the aircraft. Ground to air communication would be good, and you would need an aircraft two way radio (I have one BTW).

I'd suggest a road way out west Broward or Palm beach county, such as US27, SR80 or the Sawgrass--- somewhere way out of controlled airspace and on a road that has long straightaways and the ability to make U turns.

Just let me know if you really want to test this out.
    I suggest you take this man up on his generous offer. This would be the first time ever this type of thing has been tested and documented.

Professional

The fastest quick test would be to pick a small airport and see how your TCAS works. Determine which runway is active. Park your car under the downwind or final leg of the landing aircraft. Your TCAS should be alerting as aircraft fly over you. You have several airports to choose from (Exec-commercial Blvd, Pompano, Boca, Lantana). Traffic will only be 1000-1500 ft on downwind and lower on final, so this isn't a realistic test.

I'd suggest you try that first to confirm everything is working before a more realistic test and extensive test is performed.