Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Illinois Photo Radar Speed Threshold

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding the Illinois photo radar vans. Does anyone know (or have a rough idea of) what the speed thresholds are for the vans?

I ask because I was traveling today and was going roughly 51-52 mph. I noticed the photo van when I was at least 100 feet away. I slowed down to 45 mph in passing it. My guess is I was far enough away and slowed down so that the camera wouldn't ticket me, but I wanted to check.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Default Re: Illinois Photo Radar Speed Threshold

I have heard anywhere from 1 mph over to 14 mph over.

where did you see the van?

Professional

you should be fine

thank you both for your feedback.

I saw the van on 294 north about 1 mile after the O'hare toll. What I thought was interesting was the van didn't have it's speed readout screen open on its roof. I had thought the vans were always supposed to have that showing.

Although I have no clue on the thresholds I would be pretty shocked if the thresholds were 1 mph over the speedlimit. If this was the case I'm pretty sure every car would be getting a ticket because I stay under 50 almost all the time and people fly by me and ride on my bumper constantly.

I agree I think it is higher and most likely 14 over.

I travel that section of highway every day but haven't seen the van.

have you seen it more then once? what time of day?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy8344 View Post
    thank you both for your feedback.

I saw the van on 294 north about 1 mile after the O'hare toll. What I thought was interesting was the van didn't have it's speed readout screen open on its roof. I had thought the vans were always supposed to have that showing.

Although I have no clue on the thresholds I would be pretty shocked if the thresholds were 1 mph over the speedlimit. If this was the case I'm pretty sure every car would be getting a ticket because I stay under 50 almost all the time and people fly by me and ride on my bumper constantly.
    you go 50?????

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy8344 View Post
    Hello,

I have a quick question regarding the Illinois photo radar vans. Does anyone know (or have a rough idea of) what the speed thresholds are for the vans?

I ask because I was traveling today and was going roughly 51-52 mph. I noticed the photo van when I was at least 100 feet away. I slowed down to 45 mph in passing it. My guess is I was far enough away and slowed down so that the camera wouldn't ticket me, but I wanted to check.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
    Do you have a detector of any sort? I am very curious to know what type of radar these vans use and how far ahead you can get an alert. I have V1, and it seems every time Ive sen one of these vans Ive been going 2 mph in traffic, never even had a chance to speed past one yet!

Professional

Last week I was driving from Chicago on I-94 to the N/NW burbs. Came across one a mile or so before Skokie Rd. I was going about 49 with cars passing me and my 9500ix was picking up K band. Funny thing... No workers present though. I didn't read the whole law, but, I know workers have to be present - at least that is what I thought.

Newcomer

nice vid....whos gonna be the first to keep an Anti-radar van wig in the car to throw off the pic they compare to your license?