Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 43 of 43
  1. #41
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: what is the best radar?

    Try to find some change under your seat cushions. IMHO the sweet spot for RD's is between $200-$400. Think of it this way. They pay for themselves on the first avoided ticket. (82 in a 65 in California can cost nearly $400)

    I know it's hard, but it's worth it to splurge a bit. RD's are safety devices, and make you more aware of your surroundings as well..

    Btw. I bought a $30 Whistler once (on sale @Radio Shack) just to see what those units were capable of, and I have to report: not much! Even a $150 Cobra, which I call a "Visual detector" (it spots the radar when the LEO is in visual range. If the RD sees the signal before I did, I knew I wasn't paying enough attention)

    Welcome to the forum.

  2. #42
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    1,963

    Default Re: what is the best radar?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlopshire View Post
    I am looking for a new radar around the price range of $100, I dont care if it goes a little over. What is the best detector for that price range? I've been looking at some whistler's and cobra's but I don't know which way to go. Thanks for the help!
    Welcome! And no, you are not going to like what I say but it is the best advise. 17 and a cheap RD, WOW! TROUBLE! A RD is not a free pass to speed and with a cheap one with laser and I/O (instant-on) radar around, your had! Ticket after ticket! With a cheap RD, you can not speed when you want too, even when you have laser jammers and the best RD you still can't and be ticket free because instant-on radar will get you in time, sooner or later. You must learn how radar and laser works and how it is used to have any chance, and that is going to be slim if your heavy on the pedal. Just drive safe for it is a lot cheaper because the false security that your going to have with a cheap RD is going to get you a ticket if you do not drive smart............................................. ............To all members: This member is a minor, 17, just a child with a mother and father. I would not try to encourage a minor to speed to get him/her killed or someone else killed on the highways...........
    Last edited by North Alabama; 08-27-2011 at 03:52 AM.

  3. #43
    Professional
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    856

    Default Re: what is the best radar?

    Quote Originally Posted by North Alabama View Post
    To all members: This member is a minor, 17, just a child with a mother and father. I would not try to encourage a minor to speed to get him/her killed or someone else killed on the highways...........
    I understand what you mean and if the OP said 'I got a ticket doing 120 in a 60 and now I need a RD', I would find it more applicable. While I do not condone anyone driving beyond their capabilities, but just because they are 17 doesn't mean they are 'just' a minor. I know some very mature 16-18 year olds and some very immature 25+ year olds. I do feel that younger people are less likely to understand the art of safe driving, and especially the limitations presented by: individual vehicles, driving on the public road, and unexpected obstacles/stimuli...but this is not always the case IMO. I purchased my first Escort 8500 around the age of 16, which was even before I actually had a car to drive. Someone who is willing to spend $300+ on a box that beeps is showing their ability to plan ahead, which IMO could be considered mature. Even more so at the age of 17, in which $300 is a LOT of money to most people that age. All my friends told me I was an idiot spending a week's pay on a box that beeped. Over the next few years, they all got tickets and I didn't. My insurance stayed extremely low, and my record stayed clean. With as ridiculous as cops are and speeding laws are, the radar detector remains a tool for even the younger drivers.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 04:21 PM
  2. Anti Radar clear EMI film - helps eliminate radar signature
    By Gumballer in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 08:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •