Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    244

    Default help needed...cb

    okay so... I got a uniden pro510xl (usually recommended across various forums) I don't know much.. but i got it set up with an antenna... i dont know the brand or model I got it as a package...

    so i hooked it up to the swr meter, on channel 1 it is about 1.4...on channel 40 it is about 1.4..

    but problem is i cant pick up anything!.... I drove next to 3 truckers..for 5 minutes (my camry was in the middle awkward...) and I kept asking like... where is this place or can anyone hear me?...no one answered and worst thing was I cant pick up anything...

    ideas????

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,795

    Default Re: help needed...cb

    I don't have a good answer. You have a good setup from what you say. Maybe they just didn't answer. Just keep trying, a CB is a great thing to use. If you can find someone you know and test it. The SWR is perfect and that is a damn good radio.

  3. #3
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    244

    Default Re: help needed...cb

    Lol, thanks man, thats reassuring. probably like most other people I dont want to buy a piece of junk home.

    I know 1.4 isn't the best or good for some, but it is good enough to begin with. I will adjust more as I use it.

    I am going to test it next to my friends Jeep tomorrow, we will see.

    oh by the way...what are the four bars on the display next to the channel number?

    theres like 2 dots green...red...and then 4 bars under it.. when I drive on the highway.. or random places kind of...2 come up green the tallest two stay off...

    and is it normal when I key in my microphone half way, the cb will squeal for a little bit? sorry I have never operated or seen one in action before. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    glendale AZ
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: help needed...cb

    cobra 148gtl

  5. #5
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,015

    Default Re: help needed...cb

    Quote Originally Posted by theguysaid038 View Post

    I know 1.4 isn't the best or good for some, but it is good enough to begin with. I will adjust more as I use it.



    oh by the way...what are the four bars on the display next to the channel number?

    theres like 2 dots green...red...and then 4 bars under it.. when I drive on the highway.. or random places kind of...2 come up green the tallest two stay off...

    1.4 across all channels is more then acceptable for everyday use... anything below 1.5 and you are set with a simple CB set-up. Most of the ' enthusiasts' prefer to keep theirs below 1.1, but thats for reasons u don't need to be concerned with.


    There should be 4'Dots' on your unit. The first 3 are green and the 4th is red. That is the signal strength of signals you are picking up (RX) or the strength that you are putting out when talking (TX). When you are transmitting, all the bars should light up: all 4 that is (3G, 1R).

    When you are just listening (don't have your mic keyed)... it will display the signal strength of other peoples TX's. Generally you should have 1 or (sometimes) 2 lit up after you turn it on. This is just 'background noise'... think really bad reception on a TV over the (analog) antenna.

    Most of the time if it goes to 3 you should be able to hear the people talking rather clearly, and if you see it peak to the last red 'dot' you are receiving a strong signal, and it should be very clear (the person is most likely within a mile or 2 of you transmitting).

    You need to set your squelch... turn it all the way counterclockwise... you will hear the static I talked about and slowly turn it clockwise, until the static stops. Also see the manual for your 510 to explain this further.

  6. #6
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern MA
    Posts
    10,127

    Talking Re: help needed...cb

    Switch to Ch 19 as that is where most radio traffic is.

    Just do a simple radio check on ch 19 and you should get a response...It helps if you can fake a southern accent

    Spoiler: show

    Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

  7. #7
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,015

    Default Re: help needed...cb

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob View Post
    Just do a simple radio check on ch 19 and you should get a response...It helps if you can fake a southern accent




    Honestly though... that can indeed help in some cases (if you can actually fake a gruphy-southern accent.)


    I agree... say:

    " Break One-Nine, can I get a radio check how is the audio?"
    My favorite is:
    "Break One-Nine: Radio check... One-Two-Three"
    (To which truckers respond...4-5-6, 7-8-9)


    I had my best call like that ^^^ in PA. I said 1,2,3, another trucker said 4,5,6 another said 7,8,9... then another trucker jumped in and said A, B,C, 1,2,3... you are all coming in good... then another trucker said D,E,F,G)

    Then there were a few chuckles, but that was pretty entertaining.
    Last edited by AirMoore; 01-21-2009 at 12:59 PM.

  8. #8
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    244

    Smile Re: help needed...cb

    awesome, so an update for this.

    my radio didnt pick up squat...not until I plugged in my friend's 510 microphone then it suddenly started picking up things.. with HEAVY static.. nice to see it working...I heard ... 2 or 3 people talking at once..while one of them spamming music... it was intense... someone heard me for about a few seconds...then they kept stepping over me...

    I am currently at 1.3:1.. not too bad... i just keep hearing ..2 or 3 people talk at the same time.. and I dont really have a choice as far as I am concerned... it is interesting to say the least.

    thanks for all your help, now I just suspect a crappy antenna (probably need a new one..) and a broken microphone. I think someone responded to me.. but the static was so heavy, I can't make out what they were saying.

    again, thank you for all your inputs! now I can at least hear truckers on the road (which is why I got the cb) but I will try to get a 4 pin microphone so I can talk too... and I definitely need a better antenna the more I think about it.

    THANK YOU!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. SWR Help Needed
    By StlouisX50 in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2011, 02:59 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-20-2007, 03:26 PM
  3. help needed!
    By xrs9430 in forum Laser Jammers - General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2006, 07:19 AM
  4. 35.4 GHz help needed!
    By justonekiss in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 09:11 AM
  5. 35.4 GHz help needed!
    By justonekiss in forum Local & Regional Info
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 08:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •