Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    102

    Default Great idea for Mike Valentine

    I was thinking, I love the V1 interface, except for one thing... the band identification. It's impossible to see at night, and you have to look too hard any other time. How about this...

    Ya know the bogey counter? Well, it's one of the standard 7 segment displays that when all lit up makes an 8.
    _
    |_|
    |_|

    Well, what if, for band identification, another one of these was placed on the V1 that would say X, K, Ka, or L. You would have to add some segments, and make it wider, but it would work great, blend in with the rest of the V1's display and probably cost less than an LED matrix.

    \ /
    / \

    |/
    |\

    |/
    |\ /\

    |
    |_

    or ka could be something more like this:

    |/ _
    |\ |_|


    -gtp405

    Note: I'm sure some of this isn't going to cooperate as the text gets changed a little when you submit a post. If the top of the 8 and a are off it's because of how the board accepts text.

  2. #2
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Staffordshire, Uk
    Posts
    2,000

    Default

    i think if he was going to adopt this idea he would use a full led segment which would technicly light up the whole led block so that the letters ka would clearly be displayed...

    he's not adoppted the the coloured led idea...

    when people say they have trouble knowing what bands are at night they are very distinguishable by the beep for k and the double beep for ka!

    the v1 is very easy compared to my snooper where theres not much different in the tones..

  3. #3
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin, way north
    Posts
    33

    Default

    what would you do with multiple threats of different bands then? The screen would need to be the size of a TV to give you what the current design does now if it were to be changed to use your idea's (nice idea though, not bashing)
    I think the V-1 is right where it needs to be and it is designed to be that way. How many times would you have dismissed a single LEO as your alert when there is many in ambush if it was not for the counter?

    There are comprimises for everything, and from I have read about Mr. V. he does not compromise, I have heard that this guys ego enters the room 20 minutes before he does, and that is exactly the kind of guy I want designing my radar detector.

  4. #4
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,505

    Default

    or you can get a lifespeed remote display with vibrant colors which day or night will easily tell you what the band is :

    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...t=3487&start=0

  5. #5
    Lead Foot
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Deerfield Beach
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laserblaster

    when people say they have trouble knowing what bands are at night they are very distinguishable by the beep for k and the double beep for ka!

    i know!

    and on top of that, the LED for Ka is clearly higher than the one for K. i had the positions of the LED's memorized after having my V1 for only a couple of days.

    if you are driving at night and one of the LED's lights up and you cant tell if its Ka or K then you need glasses.

  6. #6
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    10,773

    Default

    Generally the audio should be able to identify the band properly...

    How about this - an "everyone else" style LED matrix display, that is the same dimensions as the standard figure 8. Then you can use clearer numbers and also alternatively flash a band - or make it slightly wider and put "K 3" for 3 K bogies.

    I still like my original idea, simply change the sticker on the face of the V1 so instead of X * you actually have a small X light up.

  7. #7
    Professional
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lufkin, TX
    Posts
    878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Generally the audio should be able to identify the band properly...
    I'm with you on this boat. I never look at the display except to figure out what direction it's coming from. The tones are good enough for me.

  8. #8
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ARIZONA
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    For me personally, I have no trouble identifying the radar band at night. Just a quick glance at the position of the red dot says it all. Takes less than a second to find out.

  9. #9
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin, way north
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr

    I still like my original idea, simply change the sticker on the face of the V1 so instead of X * you actually have a small X light up.
    This idea would be very simple to implement with very few modifications, You would only need a reverse image decal to place over each led so the letter would light. Something a "P-Touch" could do?

    I will be ordering a concealed display shortly, and I think I am going to mod it with color myself. I would also like to get an interface cable for the carputer. Does anyone have the schematics for RJ-11 to USB 2.0 pinned out, and available for use with the virtual display?

    I would buy, but who is selling?

  10. #10
    Experienced
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    264

    Default

    I look at the arrows, listen for the band.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone here ever met Mike Valentine?
    By justin81 in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 01:08 PM
  2. Thanks Mike B great customer service
    By Rocky in forum Whistler
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 09:20 AM
  3. Anyone ever met Mike Valentine?
    By Phillip559 in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 06-17-2007, 04:25 AM
  4. Mike Valentine
    By NikkaLB23 in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2006, 08:08 PM
  5. Had a conversation with Mike the Tech...Mike is great!
    By Ford_Focus_05 in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 12:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •