Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new v1- setting help please

hey guys-
    so i just got the v1 today and have turned to this forum for information. i have been doing some reading on various settings that have been used with the v1, as well as the test results posted in the sticky of this forum. i'm going to ask the same question that i've seen asked many times...but i need to narrow the band a little. I've seen the question 'what settings do you use', but I've also noticed not noly completely different answers, but no feedback as to why, and then worse off many international postings as well- which is great mind you, but i'm unsure if the equiptment your up against is different from ours.
    so lets try this one for size. Austin Tx, USA- Settings help anyone? I've seen some people leave POP off, and saw the results of the test that showed slower response in some areas with POP on...but also mentioned in that post that some frequencies might as well not exist in certain areas of the country/world- can somone give me the 'dumbed down' version of what I'm looking for here? most of the driving i will be worried about is open highway...not only interstate, but back road country driving with state troopers. i'm expecting the 'a' mode will be my best bet.
    thanks for the input!

Radar Fanatic

as for a new person with that detector, i would leave it in "A" mode unil you get used to it for a few weeks and learn what the tones are like and where it will false at and how many bogeys it picks up at those places..... after a few weeks read the manual and read on the forum and see what they say and adjust accordingly

Lead Foot

As it looks under speed trap info all bands are used in TX so id leave your V1 the way it is tell you get used to it....

says the have pop also

Newcomer

I just got mine today (and live in ATX). I came across traps using k and ka. I was definately impressed with the range and directional alerts.

APD is pretty well funded and equipped, so I am not putting anything past them.

Power User

here in the DFW area, i see alot of Ka, K is getting more or less obsolete, and there are traces of Laser around the area, its coming in full force

Radar Fanatic

Austin K Ka Laser

Newcomer

Is there any reason to NOT turn off X band, or to NOT use the higher sensitivity Ka setting for around town Austin driving? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am a V1 and RD newbie.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by buzn1/2duzn
    Is there any reason to NOT turn off X band, or to NOT use the higher sensitivity Ka setting for around town Austin driving? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am a V1 and RD newbie.
    The increased KA sensitivity you are refering to is not more sensitive to picking up KA,
    it just chages the alerting method to ramp up faster, with more leds lit for signal strength

thanks for the feedback guys! i will leave it as is for now, i guess all i see myself doing is turning off the x-band. maybe allowing the added sensitivity for the ka band, but going to let it ride for now- what im hearing shows that it might be sensitive enough as is.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by buzn1/2duzn
    I keep X off here in the DFW area for my everyday commutes, but when I take my almost annual roadtrip to Houston, I WILL turn X-band back on