Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Default Noob! First post.

    Hello all

    I have been doing some research (and stumbled across this great site) for a RD. Haven't made the purchase yet...have to get my $$ in order first, but have decided on the V1.

    One quick question, will the performance be impacted if I leave a baseball hat on it? I have an old Garmin mount just sitting in the middle of the dash and I figured I would velcro the V1 to it and keep it out of site by placing a hat on it...at least while the vehicle was unattended. I can't see myself undocking the V1 everytime I stop by a store or leave the Jeep Cherokee Ltd parked outside for a couple hours.

    The location would provide unobstructed view through both the front and rear windows and I can run power behind the dash. I like the idea of the rear antenna and arrows (big selling point) of the V1, so I'm not planning on mounting the unit behind the grill like I see other RDs installed.

    Let me know what you guys think or share your install wisdom. Afterall, I am a RD noob and am at your mercy.

    TIA, Mark

  2. #2
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,306

    Default Re: Noob! First post.

    Quote Originally Posted by crashmcwhly View Post
    Hello all

    I have been doing some research (and stumbled across this great site) for a RD. Haven't made the purchase yet...have to get my $$ in order first, but have decided on the V1.

    One quick question, will the performance be impacted if I leave a baseball hat on it? I have an old Garmin mount just sitting in the middle of the dash and I figured I would velcro the V1 to it and keep it out of site by placing a hat on it...at least while the vehicle was unattended. I can't see myself undocking the V1 everytime I stop by a store or leave the Jeep Cherokee Ltd parked outside for a couple hours.

    The location would provide unobstructed view through both the front and rear windows and I can run power behind the dash. I like the idea of the rear antenna and arrows (big selling point) of the V1, so I'm not planning on mounting the unit behind the grill like I see other RDs installed.

    Let me know what you guys think or share your install wisdom. Afterall, I am a RD noob and am at your mercy.

    TIA, Mark
    As long as it has a clear view of the road during operation it will be fine but I wouldn't recommend leaving the hat over it when you are using it. IMO, if you want a discreet install, I would recommend mounting it to the left of your rear view mirror and purchasing a concealed display. I would feel more safe if my v1 was left up high than on the dash under a baseball cap.

    Sometimes, in good parts of town, I will leave my 9500ix mounted even if I leave my car because it simply isn't noticeable behind the tint strip high on the windshield.
    Last edited by stlcardsfan; 02-22-2009 at 10:27 PM.

  3. #3
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    517

    Default Re: Noob! First post.

    I wouldn't leave the hat over it in operation either; It'll probably pick up the signal fine, but that small delay might cost you one day. If there's anyway you can mount it higher, I think you'll be happier with the range.

  4. #4
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Noob! First post.

    All of the testing shows that the V1 performs more strongly when mounted high. Check out the "Show Off Your Install" area for some ideas on mounting.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Noob! First post.

    Yeah...I figured it would work better mounted high, but I learned the hard way that crack heads will bust out your window for a friggin quarter left in the cup holder so.........I won't be leaving it visible while the vehicle is unattended period. I'll proceed with caution with it mounted low and see how she performs. I appreciate the feedback. Thx!

  6. #6
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: Noob! First post.

    Even with a cap over it, you will still have the power cord telling the tale on you and it would nearly be as easy to remove the whole thing as to be unplugging it etc.

    Also, if you were to leave the cap over it when driving, it would most likely blind it to laser. While detecting laser is mostly useless (cos you're dead anyway by the time you hear it) there is always the chance that it might have picked up some scatter if you hadn't it covered.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Noob from NJ
    By aTeam in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 01:52 PM
  2. Yet another Noob
    By crease-guard in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 11:55 AM
  3. Hello! Noob Here!
    By AznRico in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 06:55 PM
  4. Another RD Noob
    By nategr8ns in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 12-01-2008, 12:01 AM
  5. Please Help Noob :)
    By ucdusc in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 07:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •