Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    17

    Default Is my valentine one ok??

    It seriously goes crazy sometimes, i get weird reading when there are no cops in sight. I know that detectors sometimes get false alarms but my detector just goes crazy driving downtown is this normal, is there a way to fix it?? or should i have gone with the new gps equipped ones??

  2. #2
    snoopyc4
    Guest

    Default Re: Is my valentine one ok??

    Quote Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
    It seriously goes crazy sometimes, i get weird reading when there are no cops in sight. I know that detectors sometimes get false alarms but my detector just goes crazy driving downtown is this normal, is there a way to fix it?? or should i have gone with the new gps equipped ones??
    That is normal; your V1 is fine. There are alot of radar sources in the city. The V1 will alert you to all of them. Are the alerts X and K band?

  3. #3
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Is my valentine one ok??

    Quote Originally Posted by snoopyc4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
    It seriously goes crazy sometimes, i get weird reading when there are no cops in sight. I know that detectors sometimes get false alarms but my detector just goes crazy driving downtown is this normal, is there a way to fix it?? or should i have gone with the new gps equipped ones??
    That is normal; your V1 is fine. There are alot of radar sources in the city. The V1 will alert you to all of them. Are the alerts X and K band?
    I get more x band than k band in downtown. I know cops dont use x band anymore but i do get k band as well . I really dont speed downtown but it kinda stresses me that i have to turn of my detector or mute it as i go into the downtown area.

  4. #4
    snoopyc4
    Guest

    Default Re: Is my valentine one ok??

    Quote Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopyc4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
    It seriously goes crazy sometimes, i get weird reading when there are no cops in sight. I know that detectors sometimes get false alarms but my detector just goes crazy driving downtown is this normal, is there a way to fix it?? or should i have gone with the new gps equipped ones??
    That is normal; your V1 is fine. There are alot of radar sources in the city. The V1 will alert you to all of them. Are the alerts X and K band?
    I get more x band than k band in downtown. I know cops dont use x band anymore but i do get k band as well . I really dont speed downtown but it kinda stresses me that i have to turn of my detector or mute it as i go into the downtown area.
    Thats what I thought. I suggest you read this thread:

    http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...ould-know.html

    It will give basic "radar detector" knowledge

  5. #5
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orange County,CA
    Posts
    737

    Default Re: Is my valentine one ok??

    Quote Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopyc4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
    It seriously goes crazy sometimes, i get weird reading when there are no cops in sight. I know that detectors sometimes get false alarms but my detector just goes crazy driving downtown is this normal, is there a way to fix it?? or should i have gone with the new gps equipped ones??
    That is normal; your V1 is fine. There are alot of radar sources in the city. The V1 will alert you to all of them. Are the alerts X and K band?
    I get more x band than k band in downtown. I know cops dont use x band anymore but i do get k band as well . I really dont speed downtown but it kinda stresses me that i have to turn of my detector or mute it as i go into the downtown area.
    turn off the X band & K band (if not used in ur area)

  6. #6
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    305

    Default Re: Is my valentine one ok??

    Depends on what you call crazy. On mine before it went in to be tuned, would regularly light up everything and get varying counts on Ka band. The count would range from 6-9 and in all directions. It normally happened after I had been driving for at least four hours. It would also happen occasionally in the summer. It still occurred when I got it back from a tune. I noticed it was always hot when it did that. If I pointed an AC vent at it, the problem would go away after a few minutes. Occasionally turning off/on would reset it, other times it would not. When I mentioned it to the customer service rep at the time, I was told to send it in. Problem is...lab conditions don't match the heat we see in the car. Since I have had it in a location where a vent points to it, I have not had the crazy behavior. Out of curiosity I used a digital temp gauge to see what temps it was running at, without a vent pointed at it, the temps get to 130-145 deg F on the bottom. With a vent, it's below 100 degrees.

    Suggestion, look at where it is mounted. See if you can relocate it or point a vent to it and if the problem goes away, then it's overheating. Of course, you'll have others that do not have this problem and tell me I'm nuts. YMMV.

  7. #7
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    13,879

    Default Re: Is my valentine one ok??

    Quote Originally Posted by sniper4usmc View Post
    turn off the X band & K band (if not used in ur area)
    I think you should not be telling anyone to turn off bands, especially when you don't know what's used in his area. As a matter of fact, I think you are making a mistake to turn off K band here in SoCal. I see K band occasionally and I think you are taking a big risk turning off your K band.

    My brother that lives in San Antonio and he tells me that about 30% of what he sees is K band. Do not turn K band off in San Antonio!

  8. #8
    Power User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    On the big road
    Posts
    3,100

    Default Re: Is my valentine one ok??

    Sounds normal. Strip malls and such may have a bunch of door openers which operate with x and k band radar.

    Your V1 will alert to them all. Arrows pointing in all directions, blinking towards the strongest source, beeping each time it "locks" on to another source. Bogey counter reading 4,5,8... All pretty normal for the V1 in the city.

    You may want to check out the FAQ for ways to quiet it down without turning off any bands.

  9. #9
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Is my valentine one ok??

    Thanx for the info guys, glad to know its normal lol i thought i had a crazy radar detector sorry for the dumb question but im a noob at this stuff

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. My dog ate my Valentine!
    By valentine1fan in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 06:08 PM
  2. new Valentine in GA
    By td3 in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 05:50 PM
  3. Valentine Euro vs Valentine
    By UAE in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2008, 08:22 PM
  4. valentine one
    By drewferguson in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 12:37 PM
  5. bel STI vs. Valentine
    By slick in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 05:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •