Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Arrow confusion?

I noticed a few weeks back I was driving on the highway pretty flat and open I was receiving a strong x band with a rear facing arrow, typically no falses in that area, pretty much thinking it was behind me I did not worry, but about 1/2 mile up the road noticed a cop in the median, so I am wondering if it was in deed a foward radar and the arrow read wrong?

Fast foward to today I was driving the same highway and got a rear Ka alert this time, thinking it was behind me, same thing about 1/2 mile up the road there was a cop in the median, he then pulled out and got someone up the road from me.

Now I am starting to worry are the arrows off? Can the signal be bouncing off something and causing confusion?

Overall, the arrows seem ok all other times, but can there be arrow confusion? or is there something wrong with the unit.

Notes: the unit is about 2 years old and is a 3.872.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Arrow confusion?

I think the ramp up would be a pretty good sign of what was going on. Did it stay low, or did it ramp up as you got close to him up to full or near full power? If it remained low, then someone is hitting you from behind, or, you got multiple things wrong.

Radar Fanatic

If your in low car with an overpass, signs, big trucks behind it easy to pick up reflection.

Banned

Sounds like you have a front antenna problem. Too bad the V1 doesn't notify you if there is a problem.

Power User

Strange doesn't happen all the time. I do not want to send it in, but might have.

As for reflections I can not imagine getting a rear arrow that far back if the signal is ahead of me. I should note the bogey counter only had 1 on it too, so not like multiple signals.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic View Post
    Strange doesn't happen all the time. I do not want to send it in, but might have.

As for reflections I can not imagine getting a rear arrow that far back if the signal is ahead of me. I should note the bogey counter only had 1 on it too, so not like multiple signals.
    In order for you to get a rear alert from in front of you it would have to pass your front antenna first and reflect back, there has to be an intermittent problem. I would send it in if your not running an M3 as well.

I have had the same type encounter where the strongest radar source initially is shown with the rear arrow, driving further, the arrows switch to forward and then find the radar source ahead. Since the V1 front antenna has more tunnel vision and the rear antenna has more off axis detection it is possible the way the LEO had his radar antenna positioned, not his vehicle, you were receiving the strongest source point as a reflection from the back briefly.

Since this is reoccurring in the same area it is more than likely a reflection you have not yet determined. Most LEO’s I’ve encountered don’t shoot straight down the road rather at all odd angles to create a trap.

I’ve got a stationary K band school speed sign on Hwy 51. It will show the front arrow first, switch to the back, catching a reflection off the back of a street sign for a second or two and then switch back to the front arrow, everyday. It is one bogey, the V1 just pointing to its strongest sourcing at the moment.

BC

Power User

You might be on to something. Ok today I went to lunch and had a strong forward ka arrow, I stopped at a light it was a cop facing me at the stoplight heading away from me the arrows would switch briefly to the middle then rear arrows then back to front.

I called VR and explained to a tech the problem, he thinks it might isolated and even if I sent it in it might be hard to replicate, he said to watch the unit and see if it is common. He did say the same thing you are saying, that it might be a strong signal bouncing off something behind me and prducing a rear arrow. I asked how common is it to have an arrow issue and he said it is rare.

Radar Fanatic

This happens on my motorcycle as the unit is mounted low in front of me and anything in front of me will a rearward signal.

Advanced Member

Something easy that I do is find a X and K door opener (they are everywhere) and loop back or even do circles in the parking lot to watch the LEDs and arrows change directions. On Ka, it is more difficult, so I find a Leo and loop around but works better if he is sitting still (with C/O).....