Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    76

    Default Rear laser false

    Hi everyone,
    Tonight I was out for a drive, and encountered my first rear laser alert.
    I was in the right lane, and there was a Toyota Avalon behind me, but in the left lane. All of a sudden I get a laser alert, and there was no oncoming traffic at the time, but I looked in the mirror and see the Toyota. There was a car ahead of him and slightly ahead of me, so I figured the laser beam was reflecting off the car in front of us and into my detector, but that car turned off the road so it was just me and the Avalon, which was still behind me in the other lane. The alert went on continuously for about 7 or 8 seconds, until we went around a curve and the Toyota turned.

  2. #2
    Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmman89 View Post
    The alert went on continuously for about 7 or 8 seconds, until we went around a curve and the Toyota turned.
    Can you guess what I'm about to say?



    Yup the Toyota Avalon has Laser Cruise Control

    The 2007 Toyota Avalon returns for 2007 with minimal changes. .....Options include a sound system upgrade, a DVD-based navigation system with voice controls, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, and Toyota's Vehicle Stability Control system.

  3. #3
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Yeah, whenever I see a laser alert I always look around for a newer Avalon or Camry, although I know some of the Nissans/Infinitis have the same system.
    My question to the makers of these cars: why on earth does the laser need to be on while you're driving in the city?
    It's hard enough to drive around here without the use of cruise control

  4. #4
    Power User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MI / MA
    Posts
    3,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmman89 View Post
    Yeah, whenever I see a laser alert I always look around for a newer Avalon or Camry, although I know some of the Nissans/Infinitis have the same system.
    My question to the makers of these cars: why on earth does the laser need to be on while you're driving in the city?
    It's hard enough to drive around here without the use of cruise control
    Well...

    (1) Many of these systems periodically self-check or just stay in continuous operation but their output is ignored by the body computer unless you're cruising

    (2) The whole point of adaptive cruise is to respond to changing traffic speed conditions

    (3) Sometimes these systems are also used in collision warning / avoidance / preparation systems.

    Not saying I agree particularly with any of these uses... but this is a form of LIDAR. The fact that LIDAR is virtually unlicensed is a curse and a blessing. It allows us to make jammers but it also lets anyone put onto the market a new LIDAR-based product without a worry.

  5. #5
    Power User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lubbock,Tx
    Posts
    3,497

    Default

    Laser cruise control scares the sh&t out of me on the highways and interstates. I'm probably going to invest on a 695

  6. #6
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jag42 View Post
    Laser cruise control scares the sh&t out of me on the highways and interstates. I'm probably going to invest on a 695
    Same here!!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Does adding rear LI heads lead to mainly seeing false alarms?
    By Varactor in forum Laser Interceptor
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-15-2011, 10:23 PM
  2. False rear laser shift
    By buck969 in forum Escort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 07:57 AM
  3. V1 in Audi S5 giving false K band alerts rear
    By gmac in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 08:20 PM
  4. False Laser Alert From Rear
    By FlyinZX-10R in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 09:38 AM
  5. rear laser false with a toyota behind me!
    By Switchback in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 06:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •