Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a very small town on the NC/SC border
    Posts
    40

    Default Pro 78 power off on display

    I took a trip of over 500 miles today from the border of NC/SC to a town pretty close to Cleveland, OH. About 500 miles into my trip, I encountered some rough pavement for a minute or so. All of a sudden, my Pro 78 started sounding an alert with the display flashing "power off." After about a minute or so, it shut itself down.

    I couldn't reach for the plug or the power button to unplug the RD when it started doing this because traffic was very heavy at that moment with many cars switching lanes, and like I said, the pavement was very rough. Maybe the rough ride might have jilted the power cord to the RD, but I'm not sure. I did unplug the RD, and then plug it back in....everything seemed to work just fine afterwards.

    I don't have my owner's manual with me...does anyone have a clue as to why this might have happened?

  2. #2
    Lead Foot
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    418

    Default

    I used to own a Whistler 1783 and it had an automatic power off like that. It is designed so that if your car cig lighter stays on all the time and you forget to turn off the RD, after 4 or 5 hours or so it turns itself off. I was driving to Florida once and mine did the same thing. There is a way to turn it off, you just have to go through the menu sequences. It should say auto off or power save or something, you just turn it off.

    Also I believe on Whistler website you can pull the manuals and I have seen the manuals elsewhere online too. That may help you find out how to turn it off as well.
    Last edited by Super Dave; 06-22-2008 at 01:00 PM.

  3. #3
    Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    Sounds like the Battery Saver feature (B Svr in the settings) from the Pro-78 manual:

    Vehicle Battery Saver Mode
    The Vehicle Battery Saver Mode automatically shuts off your detector after 3 hours. The timer is reset if the detector is turned off, unplugged or any button is pressed before the timer has expired. The detector will alert you with an audible and visual warning before it shuts off. During this warning, you can momentarily reset the timer by pressing any button. If the unit has automatically turned itself off, press any button to turn the unit back on. Refer to “Option Select Mode” for instructions
    for deactivating battery saver mode feature.

  4. #4
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a very small town on the NC/SC border
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Ah yes, you are probably correct about the power saver. I'm usually never on the road for hours at a time so I haven't experienced this before.......and haven't bothered with turning the battery saver off.

    Thanks for the input.....

    Rebel

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. V1 power cable for remote display?
    By CJR238 in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2010, 05:49 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 07:28 AM
  3. quick question m27 power wire constant or switched power?
    By autobel in forum Blinder Laser Jammers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 05:10 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 03:53 PM
  5. V1 concealed display power consumption
    By sixfoot7 in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-25-2007, 09:46 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •