Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Ticket for obstruction of windshield?

So, I got pulled over today by 2 NJSP on a local road (yeah i know weird) for tinted windows. I have a medical exemption card that allows me to have tinted windows. He then asks me why I have a radar detector (9500i). With my frustration of being pulled over for the 3rd time of the month I asked up "why is it illegal?" He says its an obstruction of windshield. I said my inspection sticker, ezpass, and rear view mirror could be obstruction of windshield. I also told him that the obstruction has to be 6 inches or longer. He looks around my whole car, sees the Blinders and I guess figured something was up. So he goes to the car and ran my information for 20-25 min. He comes back and says he didn't see the statute and tells me I should be taking it down or i'm gonna keep getting tickets and how it is an insult to them and blah blah blah he was basically giving me a lecture. So, anyway to get this dropped? Should I upgrade to 9500ci or STI-R?

Banned

Default Re: Ticket for obstruction of windshield?

Concealed visor mount FTW.

Radar Fanatic

I wouldn't take it down. How is it a insult to them for you to have a RD, I could see if you jammed his laser gun he might get a little upset. I have a RD on my windshield all the time and have never had any issue where I live.

Also weird why you keep getting pulled over do you drive a loud ricer with a huge spoiler, and Fast and the Furious playing on the all the DVD screens in your car .

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
    He would have saw that too. Anything that is visible form my line of sight to the windshield is an obstruction.

Good Citizen

I'm confussed...did you actually get a ticket or a verbal? Either way it sucks to be harrased! Why is that most state troopers are @$$holes? I realize they are the "Driving Police" and don't have much else to do except vehicular enforcement but cut people a break now and then. I am a 20-year military officer and I am always courtious and respectfull when dealing with any law enforcement but I have been cut few breaks when dealing with state troopers of any state.

Rant complete...buy a CI

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by rocky2 View Post
    I wouldn't take it down. How is it a insult to them for you to have a RD, I could see if you jammed his laser gun he might get a little upset. I have a RD on my windshield all the time and have never had any issue where I live.

Also weird why you keep getting pulled over do you drive a loud ricer with a huge spoiler, and Fast and the Furious playing on the all the DVD screens in your car .
    He said that he knows what I'm trying to do and I'm trying to get away with it by having a detector. He was like we're out here trying to keep it safe and I drive around with a detector. I've had had this radar detector for 2 years and never had that issue. Nope, I drive an Acura TL with no mods except tints.

I'm confussed...did you actually get a ticket or a verbal? Either way it sucks to be harrased! Why is that most state troopers are @$$holes? I realize they are the "Driving Police" and don't have much else to do except vehicular enforcement but cut people a break now and then. I am a 20-year military officer and I am always courtious and respectfull when dealing with any law enforcement but I have been cut few breaks when dealing with state troopers of any state.

Rant complete...buy a CI
    I actually got a ticket. Probably $54. Its the end of the month so they need to try and get something. Any performance differences between the 9500ci and STI-R? I really like the GPS of CI but don't need the shifters.

Radar Fanatic

Did he give a ticket? If so, what was it for and if it was for the tinted windows, he still wrote you up after you showed him the med. card?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by deltactu24 View Post
    He would have saw that too. Anything that is visible form my line of sight to the windshield is an obstruction.
    Need to show you pictures of my setup. You can't see it from outside the vehicle --- only the driver can see it. The LEOs on officer.com show overwelming bias towards giving a ticket rather than a warning if you have a radar detector. Him seeing the RD may have been the deciding factor for you getting a ticket instead of a warning.

First thing I do when I see a cop getting behind me is hit the RD kill switch so there's nothing to see. I had one follow me for 4 miles today in a situation like that no long ago.
    Last edited by The Chariot; 03-29-2010 at 03:21 PM.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by dpatel01 View Post
    Did he give a ticket? If so, what was it for and if it was for the tinted windows, he still wrote you up after you showed him the med. card?
    He gave a ticket for obstruction of windshield for the detector. Not the tinted windows.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by deltactu24 View Post
    Need to show you pictures of my setup. You can't see it from outside the vehicle --- only the driver can see it.
    No I mean he would see when they walk up to the car. Thats how he noticed the RD. and I don't want to take it down when I get pulled over when its mounted high because then they think I'm trying to hide something.