Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Almost got a RD ticket.. tint strip on windshield?

How well will the v1 fare against the tint strip on my windshield? I'm not nearly worried as much about laser as I am radar (just picked up myself a dual head jammer setup).

I'm getting sick of ripping down my radar everytime I see the cops. In fact, just yetserday I almost got pulled over. I was merging onto 495 and there was a VSP trooper on the ramp, I didn't think much of it, then traffic starts to get backed up on the ramp, and I'm thinking, *BEEP*, maybe I should take this thing down. I see the cop at someone's window, most likely giving them a ticket and I reach over and rip it down in record time. I look strait ahead as I get closer to him, then glance over and the cop is staring RIGHT AT ME.

Thank god he didn't come after me. I don't know, maybe he thought I was flicking him off or something. It would be nice to mount the thing above my rear view -- only problem is my tint strip is there.

How bad does it hinder radar performance?

Thanks.

Power User

does not affect radar performance as long as there is no metal in that tint. Most of the high quality tint has metal in it.

Lead Foot

Go to a shopping center and test out how much it effects the k band you can get off of some automatic doors. Raise it up above and then bring it below the strip. See if it effects it. Not a guarantee, but will provide a good quick and easy check.

What about typical factory OEM tint strips on a lot of vehicles? I assume they don't have metallic in them... or am I totally wrong?

Professional

More often than not, it's not metallic. On some luxery sedans, and on some cars with really large glass (like mini vans and SUVs) it may be used.

Ed

Radar Fanatic

Most factory tint does not have metal in it. But there are exceptions:

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt1.asp

The motion sensor test suggested above by licamell should give you an indication if the tint strip is metallic or not.

GTO_04

Good Citizen

Most factory tint strips are dye in the glass. My RD (STI) looks right through the tint strip on a C6 Corvette.

If it is diminishing the range I sure can't tell so as the RD gives plenty of warning on all bands.

Advanced Member

Check out the Valentine website he has an interesting bit on tint strips that might surprise you.

Newcomer

Are you sticking it up in the windows with the suction cups? My V1 sits on the dash of my car on top of a sticky pad which I bought at bestbuy. If I pickup a cop then I pull that thing down real fast without any trouble.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky3
    Are you sticking it up in the windows with the suction cups? My V1 sits on the dash of my car on top of a sticky pad which I bought at bestbuy. If I pickup a cop then I pull that thing down real fast without any trouble.
    Ewwwwww. . did you just not read the v1 manual - or did you disregard it thinking you know better? Mount that sucker high - I got mine high enough where you really can't see it too well - hardwire the cord and away you go.