Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Hand Held Scanner

I'm in the market for a portable hand held scanner, I'm a big time noob so be patient with the questions I will ask.

I would like a portable scanner I can move from car to car including the antenna, just like my portable CB I can move from car to car in minutes.

I will be traveling thru Texas, Colorado and Wyoming, but not limited I will soon go visit other states as well.

I will make an example of comparison for instance, I would rather purchase a V1 or an ix than a Cobra or a Whistler not to bash an RD's, but the protection is limited so when it comes to a scanner if one is better than the other, then I would want that is better.

For example I have a cheap Uniden 520xl CB, but I have a good antenna and it works great, I have many saves, so that is what I'm looking for in a scanner, I know I can spend more on another radio and getter better performance, but what I got works well for me.

I know I can spend a lot on high end scanner's, but money is tight so as long as it is portable and moveable from car to car and don't have to worry about buying another scanner, because another better one came out or something like that, then it would save me a big headache and money.

I just need a scanner that will give me saves on top of my CB and RD, I know I've seen some video's here on scanner's that just beep when a LEO is around and alerts in advanced, so if the LEO has I/O the scanner will pick up before the RD.

I know I've read about digital and analog, but I don't know much about that, but like I said before as long as it works and gives me saves that is what I want.

Thanks For Reading.

Power User

Default Re: Hand Held Scanner

RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

I think you are going to need a digital scanner, so go with the BCD396XT.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Agreed. But before you buy it, you had better be 110 percent committed to becoming a hardcore scanning enthusiast, because this is NOT a plug-and-play device, like an RD. More than half the people who buy them give up on them within a week, and either sell them at a loss, or toss them in a closet to gather dust. There is an extremely sharp learning curve on today's scanners. And unless you seriously plan on getting into scanning as a serious hobby -- not just a countermeasure -- then you should just forget about it.

If you do do it though, let me know when you give up and I'll buy your scanner from you cheap.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Agreed. But before you buy it, you had better be 110 percent committed to becoming a hardcore scanning enthusiast, because this is NOT a plug-and-play device, like an RD. More than half the people who buy them give up on them within a week, and either sell them at a loss, or toss them in a closet to gather dust. There is an extremely sharp learning curve on today's scanners. And unless you seriously plan on getting into scanning as a serious hobby -- not just a countermeasure -- then you should just forget about it.

If you do do it though, let me know when you give up and I'll buy your scanner from you cheap.
    Rule 2 mister!

Street Lawyer

x2, unless you know you're in an analog only area where you can just buy the new ratshack 'iScanner' or w/e it is that has everything preloaded and programmable via database updates, you better be willing to learn how to punch in some numbers, in the right order, and select the correct system for the channel bank, etc.. etc.. etc..

Power User

x3 to the bold It took me 2 weeks to figure most of the 396xt it out and I consider myself pretty technologically inclined. I got mine in December and I still don't understand some things 3 months later. I listen about 6 hours during day and lets just say my name is night watch when it gets dark. If anything happens between 12am-4am I'm on it.. Stealth am I a hardcore hobbyist yet? When I'm outside I hide it under my coat as an Ipod and wear headphones.

You need to buy a scanner you can program with FreeScan. Programming by hand is possible but you must have Whiskey, C4 explosives, and rope to hang yourself.

My town only has 4 leos so it helps me out a lot knowing where they are. For the state patrol, I have my scanner beep when it picks up one of the channels the troopers broadcast on meaning a trooper is nearby. It actually works pretty well at finding them.

I've had 1 for sure save from io and 1 possible one from moving io.

It took awhile but I got mine well enough for now. And Stealth the rule breaker, Mine is not for sale.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by v1user View Post

x3 to the bold It took me 2 weeks to figure most of the 396xt it out and I consider myself pretty technologically inclined. I got mine in December and I still don't understand some things 3 months later. I listen about 6 hours during day and lets just say my name is night watch when it gets dark. If anything happens between 12am-4am I'm on it.. Stealth am I a hardcore hobbyist yet? When I'm outside I hide it under my coat as an Ipod and wear headphones.

You need to buy a scanner you can program with FreeScan. Programming by hand is possible but you must have Whiskey, C4 explosives, and rope to hang yourself.

My town only has 4 leos so it helps me out a lot knowing where they are. For the state patrol, I have my scanner beep when it picks up one of the channels the troopers broadcast on meaning a trooper is nearby. It actually works pretty well at finding them.

I've had 1 for sure save from io and 1 possible one from moving io.

It took awhile but I got mine well enough for now. And Stealth the rule breaker, Mine is not for sale.
    I've seen video's on a scanner beeping when LEO is nearby that is what I'm interested in for highway travel not city.

Street Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSeeker View Post

I've seen video's on a scanner beeping when LEO is nearby that is what I'm interested in for highway travel not city.
    That's called bearcall and only works on the OLD school radios, it's hardly used at all today, if that's why you're getting a scanner you might as well re-think the idea.

Radar Fanatic

I know the scanner is a whole different world compared to a CB, but for me a CB has saved me so many times and I sure got my money's worth within the first alert.

If the scanner is not going to help me then there's no need for it, but if it will help me get saves then I sure want it.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSeeker View Post
    If the scanner is not going to help me then there's no need for it, but if it will help me get saves then I sure want it.
    It won't without a whole LOT of experience, knowledge, and practice. Even then, it is extremely doubtful that you'll ever even get a heads-up, much less an actual save. As made painfully clear in the FAQ, it just doesn't work that way.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob