Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default What's the deal with my V1

Hey guys, as some of you have read from my post, this is my first time with a "Real" radar detector. I've never used, or even seen any other valentine RD in use other than on youtube on even on there it's kinda hard to tell what's going on. I have some questions and am wondering if there is a problem with my unit. I'm going to be sending it to valentine for a tune up regardless since I bought it used, but I'm wondering how much I should trust it untill then.

Here's the problems.

I'm not getting falses were I used to get them with a Cobra RD, that includes K falses aswell as X band falses. I know both are working, because I've had hits on them before I'm just wondering why I'm not getting them were the Cobra got them. I know the Cobra is not more sensitive than V1, so is it that V1 is just better at distinguishing real threats from falses? I am running it in All bogeys mode so I would assume that the V1 should give me any and all threats. Like today, I pass this carmax that always set off the Cobra for x band, but has never set off the V1. Well today I pulled into the parking lot to pay my car payment, and expected to hear it go off when I pulled into the parking lot and had the unit directly facing the door, but it never made a peep. Anyhow, on my way out, it lit up with a few bars of signal with arrows pointing behind. Well I was like Ok, let me turn around and drive up to the source. I turned around and started driving to the door, but the arrows still pointed behind me and streangth never really increased. I turned back around ane left the parking lot and pretty much as soon as I left, it turned off. The signal never faded out, it just completely stopped. There is pretty much a clear line of sight to the door from the road I was on aswell, and I left pretty slowly. Any ideas on they this happend, especially with the arrows? Why does the Cobra alert from the road while the V1 barely alerted in the parking lot.

Another problem that I have is that when I got toward a known K band false, (walgreens), even slowly, the detector starts the alert at around a 4 dot alert, then goes up and down a little, but never really increases in streangth as I approach. I will pass it, and the arrows still face foward, untill I pass about 100 ft or so past the walgreens then it goes to the side then rear, chirps for a second then shuts off. No down down ramp or anthing, just 4 bars or so, then either nothing or 1 dot then nothing. Shouldn't the alert start kinda weak then work it's way up? It's a pretty straight even path to the walgreens.

And lastly, I passed a place today where I get a false, but it points in front of me, goes to 1 or 2 dots streangth then shuts off. No side arrows, no nothing after that. I know it's picking stuff up, because it found a police officer using I/O K radar two nights ago, but other than that, the police have not been running any type of enforcement. that's the wierdes thing. I 270 here in ohio is what I take to work and it's ALWAYs patrolled, but since I got V1 I have not seen one fuxking cop on the side of the road clocking. Anyhow, is this stuff mostly normal, or is there a problem.

Yoda of Radar

Bad RDs that go out of tune quickly sometimes compensate by widening the range at which each radar band is detected. For example, a V1 might have a K band range of 24.050 - 24.250GHz, while a Cobra might have a K band range of 24.000 - 24.300GHz. So, the Cobra might pick up some false alerts that a V1 will not. I'm totally making these numbers up, because I don't know what each RD's range is, but this could be the cause rather than sensitivity.

Old Timer

the v1 would prob filter these falses out where u got them with ur cobra..trust me..all u need is one 2 mile c/o range with ur v1 to be a believer

Lead Foot

Any more opinions?

Radar Fanatic

Does it have a clear view out the back as well? (For the arrows.)

Lead Foot

Yes it does. It's placed right below the RVM, just so it can look out the back of the 350z. Any higher and it wouldn't be able to look out, and it would be looking through my tint strip.

Old Timer

ur fine..i remember when i first got my v1..it then fell off the windshield when i was driving and was paranoid...i passed a cop with his radar off and thought it didnt work nemore..trust me ur v1 works..the thing is the best RD and is a tank

Newcomer

theres nothing wrong w/ your V1, its not a stupid RD like most the REST out there, this is a sophisticated piece of electronics

Lead Foot

Ok, I know you guys know more than I do so I will take your word for it, but are you guys sometimes like WTF with the arrows and or band signal streangth? Like when you pass something that you know is setting off your detector, and the arrow still points foward, then shuts off without going to the side then rear? Also, BTW, I have version 3.818. Do you guys think I should upgrade, if for nothing else the feature that lets you know it's falling out of tune? I'm sorry for all the questions but this is pretty knew to me and I'm trying to learn all I can. Thanks again, RTT.

Old Timer

I would def send in your v1 to be tuned (if it hasnt in the last year) you will see amazing results in the sensitivity. its $45 and for $85 you can have it upgraded to a 3.864 but its up to u