Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Re: Leave the detector in the car?

Mind as well leave four $100 bills on the dash.

Mine goes in the glovebox, locked, although I'm not sure how strong a glovebox lock is.

Lead Foot

Why is everyone commenting about theft? The question wasn't about security, it was about heat damage, LOL. I know it can get stolen, but I'm not asking about that.

Experienced

OKAY, back on track. I am not an expert, but every piece of information I have seen suggests that prolonged exposure to heat can and will have an effect on the long term performance. VR lists the temp rating up to 158 F. Heat in AZ can reach 180 inside a car in the summer. Leaving it exposed to the sun can make it even worse. I would not leave it in a car in any sunny environment. Take it out if you are going to be away from the car long enough to let heat build up. Certainly don't leave it exposed to the sun.
    Last edited by ATSRADAR; 08-27-2008 at 07:50 PM.

Mine is hardwired in, mounted high behind the tint band, although the laser portion of the V1 is just below the tint band. This keeps it out of direct sunlight, therefore cooler and the best view of the road for radar and laser.

While parked at work or a shopping center I’ll put the V1 in its case and lock it in the glove box. I’ve noticed it stays reasonably cool in there, even with very hot temperatures in the cabin of the car. Heat is not good for most electronics so even in a stored state I feel it would be better not to stress it. So the glove box seems to do the trick.

Another cool place and which adds a touch of security is putting my V1 in its case and storing it in my gun safe in the trunk of my car. The trunk like the glove box seems to stay a whole lot cooler than the interior of the car. The safe by the way is bolted to the rear floor pan, hence the added security factor.

BC

Good Citizen

I'm more worried about the heat than thieves. I have the V1 case and if I'm going to work or sleeping in, I'll take it down and put it in the case and then the case goes under the seat (protects it from the heat and anyone looking into my car). Although, I keep the suction cups on the windscreen, they are a pain to keep taking off and putting back on. But note that I mount my V1 high, not center of windscreen.. you are pretty much advertising if you center mount your V1.

Lead Foot

on really hot days i put the rd under the seat just to shield it from the sun...but only really hot days like today it should be about 100 and i didn't take my ix down

I think i was reading some where the max storage temp was 180F

Experienced

Yeah I'm pretty sure any glove box could be broken open easly with a screw driver. but its most defiantly better then having it in plain view.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by SAfricanCracker View Post
    I'm more worried about the heat than thieves. I have the V1 case and if I'm going to work or sleeping in, I'll take it down and put it in the case and then the case goes under the seat (protects it from the heat and anyone looking into my car). Although, I keep the suction cups on the windscreen, they are a pain to keep taking off and putting back on. But note that I mount my V1 high, not center of windscreen.. you are pretty much advertising if you center mount your V1.
    Although it is not in the direct path of the sun, it is still better if you take it down. You paid around $400.00 for it so why take the chance. And it only takes a couple of seconds to take it down and to put it back up again. Also, the cabin of your car will heat up so even if it is not in the direct sun, it is still going to be in an hot environment. I always take my down when I am not in the car.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by PorscheH6 View Post
    Mind as well leave four $100 bills on the dash.

Mine goes in the glovebox, locked, although I'm not sure how strong a glovebox lock is.
    Might as well get a dictionary. I have have left my V1s mounted in my cars since the early 90s, no theft yet. I must live in a safer area thay you. As I posted earlier I do remove them for extended stays at urban area hotels and airports. Never had a heat related problem either. I have kept them mounted high, I currently have a mirror mount.

Radar Fanatic

i only take down my V1 on sunny days (when we actually get them here ) but due to RDs being illegal here it is mounted in a very hard to see place anyway so theft is not an issue. that or a LEO seeing it either