Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Ignored Ka and almost paid the price

I was leaving my residence at night, and made a left turn which heads towards a highway, I receive a slight ka blip and side arrows, (I never get ka anywhere near my house). I think that is interesting maybe a cop is sitting on a side street? Then I get a back arrow ka hit. I get up the light and get on the highway and get a front ka hit thinking ok, maybe up the road. I make a right turn and then get on an overpass road this is only about 1 mile from my house, (by the way this road is now directly west of where I live so in essence I left my house went a short way and then now due west of my house if that makes sense). I travel this road quite a bit and I know cops hide in the median. I am about 1/2 mile up the road and then full blast I/O ka, he was not sitting in the middle but on the right slightly upwards near an off ramp in the grass.

As stated it was night time too, I was going about 58 in a 50, I slammed the brakes and he did not come after me. I know my speedo is a hair off and it reads higher than my actual speed, he prob got me like 55.

I was thinking is it possible I was getting I/O hits all the way from my house? Granted this road is due west of my house and only a little over a mile away. I must say this is extreme off axis.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Ignored Ka and almost paid the price

I wouldnt exaclty call that a save but at least you knew to be wary. If your speedo is off like you said you were well within the grace speed.
    My speedo is off by 3 mph at 70 as well. I figured this out because my GPS tells me Im at 67 when the speedo says 70. I trust the GPS a little more than my speedo.

Yoda of Radar

My speedo with the stock wheels was right on. With the aftermarket wheels, it's 5% off. My 9500ci speed exactly matches up with my Garmin 60CSx. I don't even look at my speedo anymore. I use my 9500ci's speed readout instead.

Radar Fanatic

I believe that a dealer can program your new wheel/tire size into your computer making your spedo accurate?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by partsfreak View Post
    I wouldnt exaclty call that a save but at least you knew to be wary. If your speedo is off like you said you were well within the grace speed.
    My speedo is off by 3 mph at 70 as well. I figured this out because my GPS tells me Im at 67 when the speedo says 70. I trust the GPS a little more than my speedo.

Honestly, this is not a save, just luck. I would of been doing 50 if I thought I wasn't clear. I kinda brushed off the alerts thinking, how can it be on the second road I was on.

Remember the first hits were no where near the road I finally got on, but in essence (20/20 hind sight) was due west of my house, hard to explain.

Radar Fanatic

Sounds like a case of your RD being too good, If there is such a thing it knew there was a threat and had you looking.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by partsfreak View Post
    Sounds like a case of your RD being too good, If there is such a thing it knew there was a threat and had you looking.
    You joke about this, but my 9500ci picks up real alerts that I never identify all the time. Because its range is so ridiculous, I sometimes end up slowing down for miles, in case the source is still up ahead.

Radar Fanatic

That's why I wish all top of the line RDs had arrows. I drive through small upper class family oriented suburb full of soccer-moms. The suburb is absolutely loaded with Ka radar and half the time I never identify the source.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    You joke about this, but my 9500ci picks up real alerts that I never identify all the time. Because its range is so ridiculous, I sometimes end up slowing down for miles, in case the source is still up ahead.
    Not really joking. Look at it this way. You could easily be traveling down one block and a Leo is traveling down a parallel block shooting radar. You would never see him but he is there. The signal is legit and you are looking for him but cant find him. Your range is actually too good. It is what it is. I would rather that than Cobra stealth wouldnt you?
    Arrows would be helpful for this but I have to wait for Belscorts chance at them
    Last edited by partsfreak; 03-01-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave View Post
    I believe that a dealer can program your new wheel/tire size into your computer making your spedo accurate?

Yup, they sure can, and it may be worth it... especially if your going to be keeping the same tires/wheels for awhile. The problem is: It depends on what vehicle you have how much $$$ it will cost.

Personally I go the DJ route, I rarely look at the speedo... when I set my cruise I go by my GPS, then look at the speedo just to see what it says, but the GPS is where my true speed is shown.