Good Citizen

Question Some questions about my v1 and concealed display

When I ordered my v1, I also got the concealed display option, but I haven't really experimented with that yet.

I am currently using my v1 without the concealed display and I'm using the cig jack for the power.

I plan on using the concealed display and have it set on the passenger side for when I go on my 750mile road trip. I'm going to be driving half the way and my dad will drive the other half. He doesn't have a clue what the v1 is, and that is why I plan on being the watchmen when I'm in the passenger seat. (I know it defeats the purpose of having a concealed display if i use it in this manner, but I am only doing this for this one time trip, and later on I will hardwire everything into my other car).

1st question: I read in the manual that the main unit will be black off if I use the concealed display. Is there a way to have it so both the concealed display and main unit operational? Also, is it possible to control the volumn on the concealed display aswell as the main unit?

2nd Question: The manual keeps saying
    "IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not use Lighter Adapter with
    Direct-wire Power Adapter"
    http://www.valentine1.com/moreinfo/C...ay_pg18-19.pdf
    I don't need to use the "Power adapter" in order to use both the concealed display and main unit right? I can power them all with the cig lighter power?

Another question, California law says you can't have crap mounted on your windshield, but if I"m from Oregon (with Oregon License plate), will I still have to follow those laws? I am going to have my Garmin 650 GPS and this v1 mounted on my windshield.

Off topic question:

I will be driving from Portland Oregon to San Jose California. Once I'm in California, should I just turn off x-band? Or should I just leave it on for extra precaution? I'm currently using its stock settings. I haven't really messed around trying to change settings yet.
    Last edited by MoH.vze.com; 06-20-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Newcomer

Default Re: Some questions about my v1 and concealed display

I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but I think I can help with some of them.
    As for the CA law, you will have to follow that regardless of your state of registration.
    As for the CD, it does not have a separate speaker; when in use, all the alerts come from the main unit. (The CD does have a mute button, but no volume control.)
    Using the CD turns off the display on the main unit, and I don't think that there is any readily available way to turn that off.
    I would suggest that when you are the passenger you disconnect the CD or place it where you can see it readily.
    Your question about dual power sources seems to be academic since you will only be using power from a lighter plug. In that regard, I would advise against using the coiled cord because it's too visible and gets in the way. Get a 6 or 8 foot phone cord (in black) and run it around the side of the windshield: this makes the installation almost invisible from the outside, and only takes about 5 minutes, if you work slow. Just push it into the space available at the edge of the windshield; this also allows you to mount the V1 high instead of low on the dash to give you better reception. For the most part, a V1 mounted on the edge of the visor or high on the windshield is almost invisible from the outside of the car.
    As for the x-band in CA, I have no idea, but I think if you "search" here, you will find something helpful.
    Happy motoring.

Good Citizen

The Windshield mount law was changed in California about 1 year ago.
    CVC 26708.12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, if the system is used only for door-to-door navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated.

So what's with this law for California windshield mounts? If I mount it on the far left by the driver side, how will I, the passenger, help the driver navigate?

We can't mount it dead in the center?

So my other option is to mount it on the FAR RIGHT corner on the passenger side if I want to help the driver navigate? wtf? I'm confused.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by MoH.vze.com View Post
    The Windshield mount law was changed in California about 1 year ago.
    CVC 26708.12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, if the system is used only for door-to-door navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated.

So what's with this law for California windshield mounts? If I mount it on the far left by the driver side, how will I, the passenger, help the driver navigate?

We can't mount it dead in the center?

So my other option is to mount it on the FAR RIGHT corner on the passenger side if I want to help the driver navigate? wtf? I'm confused.

Just use the visor clip.

Position the remote display where you can see it, hard wire it up use phone cord run down the head liner, does not have to be perfect, then use a add a fuse in the radio spot in the fuse box, takes 10 mins to do and use the hardwire kit included with the v1. stuff it under dash and then run another cord from the access spot to the remote display.

Good Citizen

I wouldn't worry to much about the windshield law.

Most cops in Cali really don't care. They will only use it as an excuse to hassle, you, or hassle you about having an RD (totally legal in CA, but pisses off LEO's anyways)

I've had my GPS in the lower center on the windshield, right above the dash for 3 years now. (no issues) My friend has one mounted to the left of his RVM high on the dash, again no issues. Seen a similar install all weekend when I was in Los Angeles. My g/f actually commented that, "people can't read maps anymore. Almost every car has a suction cupped Navi in the center of their dash."

Newcomer

I have 3 friends in the LAPD and none of them will stop you for stuff near your windshield or behind the backseat shelf (also against law). They "can" pull you over for that if they want to but who has time for that.

Unless you look like a couple of thugs looking for trouble, I wouldn't worry about it. Then again, some people are really finicky about going by the book but since you're using a radar detector I don't think you're in this group. lol

Have a safe trip.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic View Post

Just use the visor clip.

Position the remote display where you can see it, hard wire it up use phone cord run down the head liner, does not have to be perfect, then use a add a fuse in the radio spot in the fuse box, takes 10 mins to do and use the hardwire kit included with the v1. stuff it under dash and then run another cord from the access spot to the remote display.

As for the placement for radardetector, the visor clip for this unit won't work in the Chrysler Mini van's visor because it points straight up to the sky ceiling pretty much.