Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,618

    Default STi Audio Ramp Up

    I was wondering if anybody else has noticed the audio ramp up doesn't seem to mimic the visual ramp up? On a 600 mile trip with my new (used) STi the audio alert seemed to have the same cadence no matter what the visual ramp up was doing.

    I have sent it in to Bel for the 33.8 fix, so maybe that will have an affect??

  2. #2
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WNY (sometimes)
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    What you've described is a problem that alot of people have with the Sti. The series of bird chirps doesn't correspond with the radar threat. I'd like to see the Sti have a V1-like ramp up, with a solid tone when the threat is at the max.

    It's not like Belscort can't do it, the X50 has one of the best ramp ups in the business.

    J/

  3. #3

    Default

    Hi Big Al,

    The STi's audio ramp-up is very compressed so that you can clearly hear the beep, brap, or beep-brap of the X, K and Ka alert tones even when it is alerting strongly at the maximum visual ramp-up. My STi after its flash for the 33.8 bug doesn't seem to be audibly different compared to before the flash. Sensitivity on all bands is somewhat better on all bands after the flash, but the audio ramp-up hasn't changed as far as I can tell from memory. The audio ramp-up is so compressed that you really have to take the time to learn the STi's ramp-up in order to audibly determine how strong an alert is. I did find this rather annoying but, with practice over a couple of weeks, you can learn to audibly decipher how strong the alert is without looking at the display.

    I think that the problem boils down to Belscort's Bel division strongly hanging onto the various beep/brap sounds which they have used for around 20 years. Somebody needs to kick the longtime and die-hard Bel engineer in the boot and shake him up! Obviously this is just a guess as to why Bel hasn't improved the audio ramp-ups on their radar detectors.

    --Michael

  4. #4

    Default

    once again...SEARCH THE FORUM ther eis 1 million posts on this including one that was directed to the Beltronics reps, but like their usual BS ignorance, they didnt take note and listen to what the users want!

    If i didnt need stealth somtimes then I would never buy Beltronics ever again.

  5. #5
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    I guess I'll have to see if I can get the "hang" of it when I get it back.

    I tried a search, but inevitably no matter what I search for it returns a million results, with few having anything to do with what I'm searching for.

  6. #6

    Default

    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...ght=sti+rampup

    this is the thread we need to post in

  7. #7
    Lead Foot
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    You dont need to know
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    Hi Big Al,

    The STi's audio ramp-up is very compressed so that you can clearly hear the beep, brap, or beep-brap of the X, K and Ka alert tones even when it is alerting strongly at the maximum visual ramp-up. My STi after its flash for the 33.8 bug doesn't seem to be audibly different compared to before the flash. Sensitivity on all bands is somewhat better on all bands after the flash, but the audio ramp-up hasn't changed as far as I can tell from memory. The audio ramp-up is so compressed that you really have to take the time to learn the STi's ramp-up in order to audibly determine how strong an alert is. I did find this rather annoying but, with practice over a couple of weeks, you can learn to audibly decipher how strong the alert is without looking at the display.

    I think that the problem boils down to Belscort's Bel division strongly hanging onto the various beep/brap sounds which they have used for around 20 years. Somebody needs to kick the longtime and die-hard Bel engineer in the boot and shake him up! Obviously this is just a guess as to why Bel hasn't improved the audio ramp-ups on their radar detectors.

    --Michael
    that's the reason they ship with extra sets of speakers in the boxes ... not for truckers ... just to hide the issue they are dealing with ...smart marketing technique

  8. #8
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Wouldn't it be cheaper to fix the problem than spend extra $$$ on speakers????

  9. #9
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Guess I'm the only one who uses tech mode. I don't worry about the ramp up, because the frequency is what I am concerned with. I don't care how long the laser sounds for either. If I get a laser alert it's straight to the brakes until I see the LEO with my own eyes. I have had two laser saves, both off scatter, with plenty of distance to slow down. I also had another encounter where a motorcycle cop was looking through some binocular things, which my friend told me was laser, but I didn't get an alert. However, I also wasn't speeding. Does anyone know if they look through those binocular things and not shoot the laser? Or is the beam so narrow they produce like 0 scatter, so If they don't directly aim them at you then no alert?

  10. #10
    Lead Foot
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    You dont need to know
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUS2MCH
    Guess I'm the only one who uses tech mode. I don't worry about the ramp up, because the frequency is what I am concerned with. I don't care how long the laser sounds for either. If I get a laser alert it's straight to the brakes until I see the LEO with my own eyes. I have had two laser saves, both off scatter, with plenty of distance to slow down. I also had another encounter where a motorcycle cop was looking through some binocular things, which my friend told me was laser, but I didn't get an alert. However, I also wasn't speeding. Does anyone know if they look through those binocular things and not shoot the laser? Or is the beam so narrow they produce like 0 scatter, so If they don't directly aim them at you then no alert?
    I love the tech mode ... when my STI alert i dont care about why :-) .. i am more interested in whats the frequency is so that i can put that in my log to see what i have gotten so far ...so you are not the only one ...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. STI Ramp Up Fix For Audio
    By thetruth in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 185
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 08:04 AM
  2. STi Audio Ramp-Up
    By Offshore in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 07:25 PM
  3. STI Audio Ramp Up?
    By happya$$ in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 12:11 PM
  4. STI audio ramp-up and falsing rate?
    By Cruiser66 in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 03:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •