Banned

Default V1/CI k band range?

Today i had a few encounters where my V1 alerted to K band about 5 seconds after my ci. Though i thought this was normal i have seen a few people state that there ci's were on par with K band with there V1's.
    With some falses they alert at the same time but with more realistic encounters the ci seems to have more range?

Is this normally the case? Im going to keep monitering it, but was wondering what other ci/v1 peoples experience is?

Professional

Default Re: V1/CI k band range?

Quote Originally Posted by CJR238 View Post
    Today i had a few encounters where my V1 alerted to K band about 5 seconds after my ci. Though i thought this was normal i have seen a few people state that there ci's were on par with K band with there V1's.
    With some falses they alert at the same time but with more realistic encounters the ci seems to have more range?

Is this normally the case? Im going to keep monitering it, but was wondering what other ci/v1 peoples experience is?
    The testing I did with my STi-R and stano0098's V1 showed the V1 having a slight K band edge.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CJR238 View Post

The testing I did with my STi-R and stano0098's V1 showed the V1 having a slight K band edge.
    Hmm, apparently its been to opposite for my V1/CI. Around bends in the road they are very close, but long range the ci warns in advance by quite a few seconds.

Advanced Member
    Upstate New York where the Stalker Dual is King

In alot of instances the detection range of these two detectors seems to be on par, sometimes the CI wins by a large margin and sometimes the V1 but doesn't seem to be by quite as much.

Here is my theory.

I believe in most over the hill or around the bend detections the M3 will win by a decent margin..........I'm not sure this is really superior off axis detection as much as it is just superior sensitivity. What we consider great off axis detection could really be the difference is sensitivity to very weak signals being reflected by objects in the bend or a portion of the same bleeding over a hill.

In cases where both detectors alert within a split second of each other, I believe this is mostly a signal that goes from too weak for either detector to pick up to a relatively strong signal rather quickly. Case in point would be a LEO 1 mile down the road sitting perpendicular to your line of travel.......and then he turns in your direction..........both detectors would come on at about the same time. Other factors that can change quickly would be objects blocking the source or reflecting the source........either could make the radar signal fluctuate quickly.

Instances where the V1 alerts first are quite possibly due to it's higher mounting position...........it's going to have a better view of the road ahead in most cases and and it's range will not be affected as much by a vehicle right in front of you.

Other factors can be the quicker response time of the V1 and difference in filtering schemes. As the Veil Guy has said before..........the superior reactivity of the V1 is a plus against both Quick Triggers AND brief reflections from objects well ahead. Also, when other spurious signals are present (which we would not know about, but the RD would) each detector uses a unique process to determine whether and when to alert to a real signal it is picking up. These subroutines use factors such as number of signals and signal strength to make their decision..........so even though each detector might see a radar source at the same time, one might delay longer than the other to actually reporting it to the user trying to decide if it's real or not.

So out in the real world, it's not always the same detector alerting first due to the infinite factors involved. This is where running tests with controlled parameters is usually the best indicator of which detector has the best raw sensitivity. Even then, it's not always apparent if there is something on the course we didn't think about affecting the results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

thanks nine_c1, that does seem to be the case. Just seemed odd and more consistent the other day.